Welcome to District Administration Portal, Lunglei
The name “Lunglei” literally means ‘Bridge of Rock’. It derives its name from a bridge like rock formation found in a riverine on the eastern side of the present town. It is the largest district area wise and the second most populous district in Mizoram.
In 1890, the Lushai Hills was formally annexed by the British and a separate District was established with its Headquarters at Aijal.
On 1st April, 1891 Southern Portion of Lushai Hill was constituted as a separate District under the Lt. Governor of Bengal. By proclamation of the Government of India, the South Lushai Hills was placed under the Administration of Assam on 1.4.1898. With the amalgamation of the South and the North into one District, the South Lushai Hills District was rendered as Sub-Division and the entire Lushai Hills District Administration was in the hands of Superintendent with its Headquarters at Aizawl and Sub-Divisional Officer at Lunglei (then Lungleh).
The elevation of Mizo District to the Union Territory status in January 1972, again brought about a significant change in the Administrative set up of Mizoram. Three Districts were created namely, Aizawl, Lunglei and Chhimtuipui Districts. In 1998 five more Districts were created viz.- Champhai, Kolasib, Mamit, Serchhip and Lawngtlai.